Sunday, November 22, 2009

interviews with immigrants Audrey

A Kurd’s story
Last night, I met Mr. and Mrs. Yilmaz, who live in my neighborhood. They come from Turkey and they were with their daughter who was the interpreter of the interview. I spoke with them during an hour and I learned lots of interesting things about Turkeys’ life and culture.
This is my interview, enjoy!

 First of all, when did you arrive in France and why did you leave your homeland?
Mr. Yilmaz : We come from Kurdistan, a region divided between four countries in 1917 : Iraq, Pakistan, Syria and Turkey. In 1974, I was eighteen and there was a war in my country. There were discrimination and ill-treatment against poor people. We lived in a little village in the mountains and during the winter, it was very difficult to find a job.
Mrs. Yilmaz : We were married and had a child, our first son. We decided to leave Kurdistan because life was too dangerous and hard for us and our family. My husband left first. He went to Germany by plane and I joined him a few months later. We stayed in Germany, in a village which is situated three kilometers from the French frontiers. Four years later, the renewal of our residence permits hadn’t been accepted so we left Germany to reach France. My cousin, who lived in Savoie, said he could find us a job so we went to Chambery. Here, the government gave us the right papers and now, our residence permits are renewed every ten years.

 Did you find it difficult to integrate into French society?
Mrs. Yilmaz : When we arrived, I told my husband “I can’t stay here more than two years !” but finally, French people were really friendly and understanding with us. A neighbor helped us to get the right papers and I learned French by speaking with people or at work. I think French is a very difficult language: I understand it but it’s hard for me to express myself.
Mr. Yilmaz : The French government is also very helpful with its inhabitants. There are accommodation help and school grants which don’t exist in Turkey.

 Do you ever go back to your homeland?
Mr. Yilmaz : Yes of course ! Unfortunately, we can’t go to Turkey every year because the journey is too expensive. We’ve got 6 children and a plane ticket costs 500 Euros. The last time we came to our homeland was in 2006, during the whole summer. We came by car and the journey lasted 3 days! We drove across Italy and took a boat to Greece. Then, we joined Turkey and Kurdistan. I really miss my family, and my wife and I would like to go back to our country for retirement.
Audrey MIEGE 1ere ES3

No comments: