Tuesday, November 24, 2009

interviews with immigrants Ines

A Rwandan Exile


Which country do you come from ?

I come from Rwanda, a small country in the heart of Africa. I decided to leave Rwanda in 1996 to escape civil war. Actually, when I came into France, the war was over. But there were still violent confrontations. Some of my relatives had been killed and I didn't feel safe in my homeland anymore. It was such a difficult choice but I felt threatened, that's why I decided to leave.

Why did you choose France to go and settle ?

Actually, I had to go to Germany. A friend of mine, who had married a German and who settled in her husband’s country, managed to get an entry permit for me. That’s why I took the opportunity to come into Germany. But my aim was to reach France because I already spoke French, so it would have been easier for me. I managed to come into Paris and I asked for political asylum. They first refused my request and I was threatened with being deported to Germany …

Finaly, did you manage to stay in France ?

Yes I did ! But it was long and difficult ! I was told to collect information in order to obtain the refugee status. I did it, but it took a while for me to get the right papers. I had to wait for about one year… I would call the prefecture every day to get information about my situation !

During this period, did you get an accommodation ?

Yes, I was hosted by fellow countrymen in Paris but I soon as I got the right papers, I decided to go to Lyon in order to start again a study period. Actually, in Rwanda, I had already graduated and I had a job. But when I arrived in France, I had to start from the begenning…

And, did you finally get your degree ?

I got it in 1999 in order to work as an auxiliairy nurse for the disabled. But I’m still looking for a job…

Have you ever suffered from racial discrimination ?
Yes… I’ve already applied for several jobs and sometimes, when I send a CV, then I get an interview. But as soon as people see my face, they don’t agree to hire me anymore.

So, you think it’s difficult to integrate into French society ?

I think so. Things are really different here. People don’t speak to each other. When you say « Hello » to somebody you don’t know, people look at you in a strange way… In my country, everybody talks to each other! And moreover, France is also very cold !


Yes it is. Do you have any plans for the future ?

I’d really like to join a charity, in order to work as a volunteer. I'd like to go and help people in poor countries.

Thanks for answering my questions… Good luck for your projects !

Ines FRESKO 1ES3

No comments: