Sunday, November 22, 2009

interviews with immigrants Morgane

The fabulous destiny of a Scottish Savoyard
Julian is an immigrant who has been living in France for 29 years. He left Scotland when he was 23 years old. He has been living in Puygros, a small village near Chambéry in the Savoy department, since 1992. Before that he spent 12 years in Paris. He is a self-employed technical translator and has a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture from Edinburgh University.
When and why did you decide to leave your homeland?
- I decided to leave Scotland in 1980. I left Scotland because my girlfriend was French and I had "fallen in love" with France! But from a very young age I was pretty sure I would not stay in Scotland – the country is beautiful but too small.
What was your journey like?
- I can't remember how I travelled when I came to live in France. But I came alone and I used public transport and showed my passport at the border. I had done the trip from Edinburgh to Paris frequently, often by train from Edinburgh to Dover, ferry from Dover to Calais, then train again from Calais to Paris. I have also done that journey by car, bus and plane. By plane it takes about 2 and half hours, by car it takes about 14 hours, and by train-boat-train it takes even longer.
Why did you choose France instead of another country?
- I loved France, plus the fact that French is the only foreign language I speak (my mother tongue is English) and I knew quite a lot of people.
What were your first impressions on your arrival here?
- When I came to France in 1975, it was the bustling and lively life style of Paris that impressed me. Walking down the Champs Elysées, sitting on the terrace of a “café” in Saint Germain or the Latin Quarter, or just taking the metro - It was all exciting.
How long did you think you would stay in France when you first arrived ? And now ?
- When I came in 1980, it was with the intention of staying for a long time, perhaps all my life.
I don't think I will leave France, I consider it my home now.
What difficulties did you meet?
- I had studied French at school, but did not speak fluently. The first time I stayed for a long time in France was in 1975-76 when I left school. The transition from "school French" to "real French" takes some time. To begin with it's difficult to follow conversations – everything goes too fast.
How long did it take to become integrated and what was the attitude of other people towards you when you arrived ?
- I became integrated almost immediately. Being a white European helps ! I found people very helpful and very friendly. They knew I came to improve my French. When I came back to live in 1980, I already spoke fluent French and was considered almost like a Frenchman (but with a slight foreign accent).
Now, I feel that people consider me to be a fully integrated member of the French community, a Frenchman with an accent if you like !


Was there a difference between the attitude of the townsmen and the countrymen ?
- When I arrived in Puygros, people took an interest in me because I was something of a "rarity" being British. In Paris (or any other large town or city), you are just one of the crowd.

Do you often speak your mother language?
- Yes, regularly with my job and my travels. I go to Britain about once a year and to Scotland every 2 years (roughly).
If you had to remake the choice you made when leaving your homeland, what would you choose ?
- I would do it again There are too many things, I like, in France, to list them. For example, I love the food and wine.


Morgane REYNAUD 1*ES.3

No comments: