Sunday, November 22, 2009

interviews with immigrants Louison

Interview with Suzanne Le Puil, an Australian immigrant.

1) First of all what can you introduce yourself and what can you tell me about your immigration?
My home country is Australia and I was born in a town which is called Brisbane. Now I live in Saint Pierre d'Albigny. When I decided to leave Australia I was 25. Two years earlier, I met Serge, who is now my husband, during a trip to Africa. We travelled overland; it took us 6 months to come to France. We crossed Asia, China and east of Europe. We didn't take the plane; we took boats, trains and buses...

2) Do you remember a funny or difficult moment when you arrived in France?
It was difficult in the beginning because I couldn't speak to my mother-in-law. So during the meal I ate a lot because I couldn't speak and everybody said “oh she has a big appetite the Australian girl”. So I went to school in Paris during one month in “Alliance Française”. It took me six months to be able to speak to Serge's Family.

3) Do you appreciate French culture ?
Yes I love French culture. French people talk about everything (politics, religion, and they tell jokes about all the subjects). In France you can also bend the rules.

4) Do you remember if it was difficult to obtain all the right papers?
It was complicated, long and expensive to obtain all the French papers. First I married in Paris but when I arrived in Chambery they told me my papers were not good, however I was already married. I have had the French nationality for one year (it took one year to get the papers). For 20 years I was just resident and I didn't have the same rights, for example I couldn't vote. Besides I'm better paid since I have the French nationality I think it is not normal.

5) Have you already returned to your homeland?
Yes of course, I try to go to Australia every two years but it is very expensive. I have already been to in my homeland on my own and with my family, but my husband almost never comes with me he doesn't really like Australia.

6) Now do you enjoy living in France and have you got a good job?
I really enjoy living in France this is a great area and I love my job. I'm an English teacher in Chambery. But it was very difficult to have a permanent contract, a stable job. For 20 years I had temporary contracts. Besides in France there are the mountains and the snow but I miss the beach and the sea.

7) Did a person help you in particular?
A person who worked in the immigration office helped me to stay in France and to get my French papers faster. In the beginning to be a resident normally I had to work 2 years before I could work in France so because we knew somebody I only waited 1 year before I could work. But they accepted to help just because I was white, I spoke a little French and I come from Australia (a non risk country).there were two different systems in the immigration office: one system for the African people (very slow or nonexistent) and one system for the others.

8) Australia or France ?
It is a good question because now I have lived in France for 20 years, it means so longer in France than in Australia. I don't really know if I am French or Australian. When you are in France you say “Ah Australia is fantastic” but when you are in Australia you say ”Now I am a little bit French, it is not so great...”. When I am in France this is my home but when I go to Australia I say I “go home” so where is home. In this case I leave home to go home.

Louison Muller 1ES3

No comments: