Sunday, November 22, 2009

interviews with immigrants Mélanie

Journey of an immigrant
José is 35. He comes from Pombal, situated in the west part of central Portugal. He has lived in France since the age of 18 He married Lourdes 12 years ago and he has got a child aged 11, Jacento. He works in a vineyard near Chambéry.


Mélanie PAGET: To begin, why did you choose to leave your country?
José: I wanted to find a job and earn some money. In Portugal, it’s very difficult to find a good job when you come from a modest family. At school, I wasn’t a very good pupil and the long studies weren’t made for me. I had found a manual job which was perfectly convenient for me in France. It wasn’t a choice but rather an obligation: if I wanted to succeed in life, I had to leave Portugal.
M.P: Why did you choose France instead of another country?
José: At first, I wanted to go to England because I could speak some words in English. It was easier to communicate with people and to find a job. But, my uncle already lived in France and he proposed me a job where I could be well paid and a place where I could be accommodated. I had a good opportunity and I accepted. Finally, I don’t regret coming to France.
M.P: How did you come to this country? Did you meet difficulties?
José: Near Pombal, there is a city, Leiria, where a bus regularly made round-trips between Chambéry and Leiria. We were about fifty in the bus but most people just went to France to visit their family. During the journey, I worried a lot about my arrival in France. I didn’t really know what was going to take place when I would arrive. During the journey, I almost turned back. The only problem I met was when I arrived in France: I didn’t know a single word of French. I felt lost.
M.P: How do you feel in this new country?
José: I don’t regret coming here. I’m rather well integrated in spite of my language difficulties. I learnt French in 3 months and now I can speak fluently. I consider France as my second mother. If you told me to go back to Portugal for ever, I don’t think that I would do it : here, now, I have my job, my friends, my family, my habits, … Living conditions are very pleasant here.
M.P: Do you think it’s selfish to leave your country to enjoy a better standard of living?
José: (Unsteady) No, I don’t think it’s selfish. My parents agreed and even urged me to leave Portugal. They knew that here I wouldn’t find a well-paid job because of my low school level qualifications. I wanted to prove them that I was able to succeed there. Also, every month, I send some money to my family: I work for me but also for them.
M.P: Do you miss your family?
José: No, because I often return to Portugal during the holidays. Then, today with internet, it’s easier to speak with them, I have more news. We see each other regularly with webcams: I have the impression to have them in front of me.
M. P: Do you think one day you will return to your homeland?
José: (Smiling) I don’t think so. I love this country. Today, I have my house, my friends, my family, my habits here. If I had to go back Portugal, it would just be for holidays and to visit my family.


Mélanie PAGET 1ES3

No comments: