Tuesday, November 24, 2009

interviews with immigrants Laura Pellet

Interview with an Immigrant




Myriam HERIZI, an Algerian immigrant has kindly accepted to answer my questions. This is the interview :

Can you introduce yourself, please ?
My name is Myriam HERIZI, I am 32 years old. I come from Algeria and I live in Albertville.

How long have you been in France ?
I have lived in France since I was 7 years old. First my parents and I lived in the suburbs of Paris and after they décided to leave the capital in order to live in the provinces. So we moved to Albertville where I am still leaving now.

Why did you leave your homeland, Algeria ?
We are a huge family, there are 5 children. My father was the only worker in the family because my mother had to take care of us.My father's job was not well paid and since it was the only income of my family,life in Algéria was very hard for us and we didn't live in good conditions.They have always had a dream: one day they would like to leave Algéria and go to France to try their luck and enjoy a better way of life.As they knew a friend who had emigrated to France one year before, they decided to contact him to know if it was possible to come and what the procedure was. A month later, the décision was taken, we left Algéria, our country, our family, our friends and everything that we had there. This was the begining of a new life for us!

What was your journey like ? And what were your first impressions on your arrival ?
First my father left the country on his own. He took the plane directly to Paris and looked for accommodation where he could live and started to apply for a job. It was not easy for him to find a job but finally he succeeded in his search, and after 2 months the rest of the family (my mother,brothers and I) could join him there.
He sent us plane tickets and we came to France. When I arrived in Paris, I was only 7 so I don't remember clearly what my impressions were , the only thing I remember is that the city was very big and there were many people and I was very impressed.


What do you think about living in France ?
Living in France is the best thing I have ever known.I thank my parents for having taken this décision when I was young because it helped me to be quickly integrated and to enjoy a better éducation and now get a decent job. I didn' t have any problems about the language because we also speak French in Algeria.

Do you regret leaving your homeland ?
A part of me knows that Algéeia is still my country and I am proud of it but I don't regret that I left it 25 years ago because I don't think that I would have the same lifestyle in Algéria as in France. I come back to my homeland sometimes for holidays to help me remember a part of my childhood.

Laura PELLET 1ere ES3

No comments: