Sunday, November 22, 2009

interviews with immigrants Florian

Hello, today we will interview an immigrant who will tell us her story. Her name is Marie Rosa; she is 35 years old and lives in France. She is married and has got two children.
Hello Marie Rosa, I am a student at Le Granier High-School and I have to interview an immigrant living in France. So do you agree to tell me your story?
Of course I do!
Thanks. To begin, what was your home country and what were your living conditions in your family?
I was born in Portugal in a little village near Castelo. My family was very poor with five children including three sisters and one brother. My parents earned a small wage and had lots of difficulties to feed us and to pay for our studies...
When did you decide to leave Portugal?
When I was 14 years old, I chose to leave school and to go to France to help my parents.
Why did you choose France?
My brother and one of my sisters already lived in France and I suggested to them that I go to their home so that I would take care of their children.
Could you describe your journey to come to France?
My brother and my sister would go to see my parents by car every year. So I left Portugal with them to go to France. During the journey, it was awful, like a nightmare. I hadn't travelled by car before because my parents didn't have one. The trip lasted two days, it seemed never-ending! I was very carsick. However, I discovered new landscapes as mountains, big cities, skyscrapers… I was very impressed.
Did you speak French?
I didn’t speak any French and I didn’t understand this language. I began to speak French with my brother’s and sister’s children. I didn't learn fast, it was really difficult. I spoke French fluently four years after my arrival.
When did you leave your brother's and sister's house?
When I was 16 years old, I found a job as an au pair in a rich family but it was hard because I wasn’t 18 years old and I hadn’t got any legal papers. So they hired me but it was illegal... They took advantage of the situation by giving me a very little money... It was exhausting because I worked every day without holidays or any days off.

Do you regret now, to be in France?
No, I don't at all! I'm integrated in this country. I'm married, I've got two children and I own a beautiful house. Moreover, I've got my driving license and a lot of friends. By now, all my sisters and my brothers are in France. We also invite our parents to come and see us regularly.
Now, have you got French nationality?
No I haven't yet. But I'm applying to get it. To conclude, I would say that « My soul is Portuguese and my heart is French »

Thanks for your answers. It was very nice of you!

No comments: