Sunday, November 22, 2009

interviews with immigrants Léo Rubin

An interview with an immigrant:
What are the reasons which made you come to France?
First of all, I left Romania at the age of 23. I had been studying tourism for four years. I decided to leave my homeland in the 4th year of my studies. I thought I would finish them in France. But my main aim was to get professional experience in the tourist industry. Later, as I also really wanted to discover another culture and to improve my professional skills, I decided to leave France for Canada. There, I met THE ONE MAN of my life, he was French you know. So when he proposed to marry me and to live in his country, I didn't hesitate! So that's why I am back in France now...

Could you describe to me your journey from Romania to France by way of Canada?
I had contacts with a French family who helped me to find somewhere to live in Reims (200 Kilometers east of Paris). So I moved to a home with some other young immigrant adults like me. I left Romania on my own but I made friends among the other migrants rapidly. The fact that I wasn't alone as a migrant helped me to become better integrated in France.
I already knew the work I would apply for from the beginning. In France, I worked as a tourist guide for 3 years. Then, in 2005, I saw an ad concerning a national program of immigration between France and Quebec which interested me. Like my first journey from Romania to France, procedures were numerous and long (I had medical visits for instance). I had already left twice to go to Montreal in Quebec. There, everybody in the street was friendly and nice towards me! Just like towards every foreigner. Yet, when I wanted to find a job, it was more difficult.
I stayed 2 years in Canada before coming back to France. As I said I met a French man, we married and decided to live together in France. That's why I am here, living in a magnificent house with my husband in Challes-Les-Eaux .

What were the difficulties that you have met until now?
The first part of my journey went very well and I had few problems. Romanian and French cultures are very similar. From a professional point of view, it was very easy because my skills were recognized and there wasn't any discrimination in my job. Racism could be sometimes present in the French people's words.
In Canada, It was totally the contrary! My diplomas weren't recognized by employers. I felt it like discrimination, It was difficult for me. Moreover, the culture was very different. It looked like that of the USA and not that of Europe. So I had once again to adapt.
When I came back to France, the administration gave me many problems because I was Romanian and because, in 2006, my country wasn't in the European Union. At this time, to have a good job I had to work twice as hard as French people in order to prove my skills! You know, it was very hard professionally speaking.

Do you enjoy yourself in France now?
The problems I meet now are worse than before because I'm unemployed. I think racism is a cause of my situation and if I succeed in obtaining French nationality, it could improve my work conditions. Generally speaking, I enjoy myself in France because I have found the love and a stable emotional life in a beautiful house.

And finally, what did you learn from this experience? What did it bring you?
I have learnt positive and negative things from this experience. I think some things are more difficult in the sense that I always have to “fight” and to struggle to have something in terms of work or administrative things. Leaving Romania, then France and then Canada was an uprooting experience. I began three times something new, and for me this was the most difficult thing.
Yet, It permitted me to know many different mentalities Moreover, thanks to this experience and my studies, now I can speak four different languages: Romanian, French, Spanish and English.
And of course, I've met the man of my life!

Léo RUBIN 1ere ES3

No comments: