Sunday, November 22, 2009

interviews with immigrants Michael

Maria Ferreira
Interview with a Portuguese immigrant

-Hello, what’s your nationality?
I’m Portuguese and I come from Lisbon where I was born.
-When did you decide to leave your country?
I left in my country when I was three years old. So I’m not the one who decided to leave but my parents.
-Why did they choose France instead of another country?
They decided to come to France because they had already come three years before and had found a job which allowed them to live. So, they wanted to find a job again to be able to bring me up.
-Did you come to France with your family?
Yes, I came to France with all my family because there were my brothers, my parents, my cousins, my uncle and his wife and also my grandparents. We all came by cars.
-What was your journey like?
My journey was very long because we stopped in a lot of cities before finally settling in Savoy. At the beginning, we lived in Nice for a short time then in Saint-Etienne, afterwards we lived in the Ain for one year then we left for Isola 2000 and finally to Savoy, to Albertville where I have lived for more than forty years.
-Did you know anyone in France when you first arrived?
No, unfortunately I knew nobody and neither did my father. It was very hard to find accommodation and a job.
-Did you have difficulties finding work?
Not me because I’ve been in France since my childhood but my father had a lot of difficulties particularly because he didn’t speak French very well. I remember when I was child we had to follow our father each time he changed job, it was very frequent. We were sometimes forced to sleep in bungalows next to sites so that my father could go to work, to allow us to live with a little money.
-Do you regret leaving you homeland?
No, I don’t regret leaving my homeland. I consider myself as a French person contrary to my parents who they will return to Portugal as soon as they can. As for me I sometimes go back to appreciate the country where I was born but I prefer staying in France.

Mickaël ROUX 1ère ES3

No comments: